Project Participants and Sponsors
Monitor National Marine Sancuary
Mariners’ Museum Monitor Center
The Mariners’ Museum
National Undersea Research Center
Maritime Studies Program, East Carolina University
R/V Cape Fear
Coast Guard Stations Hatteras Inlet and Ocracoke
Ocean Technology Systems
Harvey’s Dive Suits
You Win Some, You Lose Some
Saturday, August 5, 2000 – Today’s participants:
- Team 1 – Kyle Creamer
- Team 1 – Terrence Tysall
- Team 2 – Grant Graves
- Team 2 – John Barone
- Team 2 – Tane Casserley (ECU)
- Support – Clyde Martin
- Support – Andrew Donn
- Standby Diver – Tamara Ebert
- Chase Boat Support – Bill Gambrill
- Diving Supervisor – Doug Kesling (NURC)
- DMT – Ken Johns (NURC)
- Photographer – Cindy Creamer
- Project Director and Chief Archeologist – Dr. John Broadwater
- MNMS Historian – Jeff Johnston
- Captain, R/V Cape Fear – Dan Aspenleiter
- The Mate – Mike Rodaway
While some sleep in and some slowly start their day with a cup of coffee, Terrence and Kyle try to torture each other (usually Kyle is on the receiving end of the torture) with an early morning run on the beach, topped off with some calisthenics. The winds were dying down and shifting direction this morning, so we anticipated good conditions at the site. We gathered our things and headed down to the boat to load and analyze our cylinders before departing for the sanctuary.
We left the dock a little later this morning, hoping the conditions would improve before we got there. The sea state was choppy but not heavy. The current on the surface was running about 2 knots, however. We staggered our teams with Team 1 on a 30 minute bottom time and Team 2 on a 25 minute bottom time. As we descended, the current slacked off to nearly nothing on the bottom. These conditions make it difficult for the Captain to know just where to drop the divers. Team 1 landed on the bottom and had to swim about 200 feet to get to the wreck. Visibility on the bottom was about 40 feet, and the temperature was about 66 degrees. Team 2 swam along the bottom for 10 minutes without seeing the wreck and decided to abort their dive.
Since conditions are improving, we plan on going again tomorrow . . . only 5 diving days left!
Send questions or comments to the trilobite.
Questions and Comments To the Trilobite
I missed your presentation the other night and had a few questions. Are you going to bring up the engine this year? After the engine comes up, what will you do next?
The Navy handles all the big lift that has to be done, and they have wrapped up their operation for the year; so, the engine will have to wait until next year to come up. After the engine comes up, NOAA wants to bring up the turret. To facilitate this, the Navy has placed grout bags under the deck to help support the wreck when the turret is removed. After these two major components are up, the slow, methodical archeology can begin.