The purpose of the Cambrian Foundation diving program is to ensure that compressed gas diving conducted under the auspices of the Cambrian Foundation is performed in a manner most likely to minimize accidental injury or occupational illness, and to set forth rules, regulations and standards which will allow a working reciprocity between the Cambrian Foundation and other organizations and state and federal agencies engaged in scientific diving.
All diving that is associated with the Cambrian Foundation must meet the requirements of the Cambrian Foundation Diving Manual, and only persons approved by the Diving Safety Officer will be allowed involvement with diving under Foundation auspices. Divers are classified in one of three categories, Research Divers, Scientific Divers and Temporary Scientific Divers.
Additional general requirements for participation in the Cambrian Foundation Dive Program:
- Be a current donor to the Cambrian Foundation.
- Sign and submit a Cambrian Foundation Release and Waiver.
- Submit copies of all valid SCUBA certifications. (Divers must have completed the equivalent levels of Open Water, Advanced Open Water and Rescue Diver certifications at a minimum.)
- Complete and submit the Cambrian Foundation Diving Medical History form.
- Submit a Cambrian Foundation Medical Evaluation of Fitness form signed by a physician.
- Temporary Scientific Divers must complete a physical examination as outlined by the RSTC for a recreational dive professional and be cleared for diving by the examining physician.
- Scientific and Research Divers must submit the Cambrian Foundation’s Scientific Diver’s Physical, “Medical Evaluation for Scuba Diving”
- Submit a copy of personal medical insurance, either a general policy which covers diving accidents or a general policy and a policy designed specifically for diving related injuries (DAN Master Insurance is recommended). The purchase of personal medical insurance is the responsibility of the participant.
In addition to these general requirements, applicants desiring classification as a Scientific and Research Diver must:
- Submit documentation of current training in First Aid, CPR and Oxygen Administration.
- Pass the Cambrian Foundation’s Scientific Diver’s exam (requires a passing score of 80% or greater). This test is issued by the Cambrian Foundation Dive Safety Officer or designee.
- Submit online an updated equipment service record.
- Submit online a current dive log.
After all documentation has been reviewed by the Diving Safety Officer, the applicant will be asked to demonstrate proficiency in at least one check out dive with the Diving Safety Officer or his designee.