Phase II – August 16

Vector Averaging Current Meter

Michael Ott during decompression

Getting Into The Swing Of Things

August 16, 1999 – The weather was cloudy and windy, but the seas were only 2 – 3 feet and the current was about 0.5 knots. The team assignments for today were:

  • Captain, R/V Cape Fear – Dan Aspenleiter
  • Principle Investigator – Dr. John Broadwater
  • NOAA Historian – Jeff Johnston
  • Diving Safety Officer – Dave Dinsmore
  • Dive Supervisor – Cindy Creamer
  • Diving Medical Officer (DMO) – Michael Ott
  • Dive Medical Technician (DMT)/On deck Standby Diver – Doug Kesling
  • Chase Boat Operator – Mike Smith
  • Chamber Operator/Chase Boat Support Diver – Ken Johns
  • In-water Support Diver (deep) – Terrence Tysall
  • In-water Support Diver (shallow) – Mike St. Germain
  • Research Diver – Kyle Creamer
  • Research Diver – Chad Roberts
  • Research Diver – Chris Cote
  • Research Diver – Michael Ott

Both teams were dropped just up-current from the float ball and intersected the line at about 50 fsw. Chris Cote and Michael Ott headed down the line first and staged their EAN36 and oxygen cylinders on the bottom of the downline. They then proceeded to the bow to check on the current meter and to tighten 2 nuts that hold the meter in its cradle. On their return back down the wreck, they noticed a small medallion about 30 feet off the starboard in the sand. They noted the inscription and noticed that it had a realitively new appearance. It is believed that this was not part of the Monitor’s cargo (It may be something dropped by a passing ship). On a later dive, we will investigate this object further.

Kyle Creamer and Chad Roberts were to deploy another K cylinder for the dredge and to test the dredge’s operation. The cylinder, which had been left on the downline the day before, had broken free and landed about 60 feet from the turret. The divers utilized a DPV (Diver Propulsion Vehicle) to tow the cylinder over to the wreck. They then assembled the dredge and tested it in two location near the turret. The dredge functioned well, however, it greatly reduced the visibility.

Our standard post-dive debriefing was held during the boat ride back to shore, and the team filled their cylinders for tomorrow’s dive before heading off to dinner.

Comments are closed.